Would you like to pack more veggies in your breakfast? In this carrot and spinach granola, there is a whole pound of organic baby carrots and 1/2 cup of fresh spinach. The granola has a nice carrot flavor to it with the spinach taste being unrecognizable. Granola is a fun and inventive way to add veggies and fruits into your diet as well as your child’s diet. Add the granola to yogurt, oatmeal or eat it by itself. Since I pureed all of the ingredients together, it was easy to add fresh vegetables like spinach to it. Make sure to give this granola time to bake and let it get crunchy. Granola is a test of patience in my book and it takes just the right heat and time for it to achieve perfection. Once it’s done right, it’s well worth the wait!
Kid Friendly Tips: Kids can easily help by choosing the spices they want to add in the granola. Let them pick out the mix ins. I added dried cranberries and raisins to this batch but feel free to add your own favorite mix ins!
1 pound of baby carrots (I used organic)
1/2 cup raw spinach (I used organic baby spinach)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of maple extract
3.5-4 cups of old fashioned oats
Mix ins (e.g. raisins, dried cranberries, dried fruit, nuts)
1. In a food processor pulse carrots until almost fully pureed. Add spinach. Pulse until combined. Add apple sauce through maple extract and pulse until smooth.
2. Pour wet ingredients into a bowl.
3. Add oats to bowl and mix with wet ingredients. Mixture should be wet (consistency of wet cookie dough)
4. Spread granola with a spatula onto a greased cookie sheet. You don’t want to crowd the pan so you may need two pans. Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Throughout the baking process, use a spatula to break the pieces down, turn the granola and mix. If the granola is browning too much lower the temperature.
5. Lower the temperature till 200 degrees and let bake until crunchy. If you like it extra crunchy, shut off the oven and leave granola in the oven without the heat on for 15-20 minutes (make sure to keep checking, you don’t want the granola to burn!)
6. Let cool and then add your mix ins.
7. Store in airtight container (if you have any left over!).