Do you love Puffins? If so, you will love these pancakes. I love Puffins cereal because it’s crunchy, sweet and healthy. My kids and I are also pretty obsessed with Penguins and Puffins. I processed a cup of Puffins in my food processor and added them to pancake batter. It’s a great way to add some fiber and sweetness to pancakes.
Kid Friendly Tips: Have your child help with measuring and mixing. Focus on new vocabulary, sequencing, describing (describe the texture of the puffins, smell of spices, etc) and actions (mix, flip, grind, whisk) and add your own child’s touches to the recipe. You can easily add a banana to the pancakes or diced apples.
Carryover Picture Books: Nothing Like A Puffin, Puffin Peter
1 cup of Puffins (not processed in food processor)
1 cup of all purpose white flour
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground all spice
1 cup of low fat milk (can be substituted with almond milk)
1 cup of vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup of apple sauce (can substitute with canola oil)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of maple extract (optional)
1. Process Puffins in the food processor. In a small bowl whisk ground Puffins, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, combine milk, yogurt, applesauce, egg and extracts.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Do not overmix.
4. Pour about 1/4 cup for each pancake in a non stick pan. I usually use a medium size ladle to scoop out the batter. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
6. Add syrup and serve with fruit. Top with maple syrup. Makes pancakes for family of four. Enjoy!