Would you like to add some protein and fiber into a sweet treat? Try these black bean brownies. The brownies are sweet, moist, light and fudgy. I always try to add some nutritional goodness into whatever treat I am making. I got the original recipe here from Melissa d’Arabian. I adjusted the recipe a bit by using canola oil and applesauce (used a squeezie applesauce that I had found in my cabinet) instead of vegetable oil. I also used less cocoa and more chocolate chips for added sweetness. I reduced the sugar, added beans, and added some chocolate extract. These brownies are child friendly and no one will know that they are made out of black beans! Also, its a cinch to make in the blender. Easy prep, easy recipe, easy clean up!
Kid Friendly Tips: Have your child help you add the ingredients to the blender. Discuss the health benefits of black beans and why they are good for your body. Make the beans the “secret ingredient” and see if anyone could guess what’s inside of them. Smell and taste the different ingredients and describe the tastes (e.g. chips vs. cocoa). With this recipe, work on sequencing (following the steps of the recipe), actions (e.g. blend, mix) and following directions.
Here is how I made these high fiber delicious brownies:
1 cup of organic black beans, washed (and then soaked in water for about 20 minutes)
1/4 cup of canola oil
1/4 applesauce (1 squeezie apple sauce if using that)
1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of chocolate extract
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips (1/2 cup melted, 1/4 for mixing with batter)
1/3 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
confectioners sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease 8 X 8 pan with butter.
3. In a blender puree black beans, applesauce and oil until smooth. Add eggs, cocoa, sugar and extracts to blender. Blend until
4. Add melted chocolate and blend until smooth.
5. In a separate bowl mix flour and baking powder. Add to blender and pulse until moistened. Fold in rest of chocolate chips.
6. Add to pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes until done.
7. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Dust confectioner sugar on top. Cut into squares and cool on cooling rack.
8. Eat and enjoy!