When middle grade novel Clean Getaway by Nic Stone arrived at my door, I was immediately intrigued by the plot of the story.
11 year old Scoob just had his spring break cancelled because he got in trouble again at school! He thinks that he will have the most boring spring break until his grandmother pulls up in a brand new Winnebago and offers to take him on the trip of his life. This raod trip is educational, scary, fun, sad and full of ups and downs. With the intermittent illustrations that are embedded in this novel, young readers can picture the different characters and various surrounding as Scoob and his grandmother embark on their adventure.
This middle grade novel captivates the reader with twists and turns in the story. Both Scoob, his grandmother and his father experience all different types of emotions in the story, which you will have to read to find out!
Clean Getaway is also an introduction to racial inequality both in the past and currently in our country. With this middle grade novel, we can begin to have some important discussions about what Scoob and his grandmother experience both in the past and the present.
Nic Stone is an Atlanta native and Spelman College graduate. She is the NY Times best selling author of the YA novel Dear Martin and the teen novel, Odd One Out. To learn more about Nic, check out her website here.
To learn more about her book tour, click here.
Clean Getaway can be a wonderful book to discuss some important topics. Here are some questions to get you started!
- Tell me about the emotions that Scoob experiences from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How are Scoob and his grandmother alike? How are they different?
- What do you think Scoob’s grandmother wanted to teach Scoob?
- What lessons did Scoob learn by the end of the trip?
- Let’s talk about the complex relationship between Scoob and his father. How did the relatnioship change as the story progressed?
- What is racial prejudice? Tell me about the different types of racial prejudice Scoob and his grandmother experience during their trip.
affiliate link in post