I have been making this bread for many years. It is a great basic recipe that you can modify to make into your own. I eat this by itself, with a meal, or you can use it as sandwich bread for a panini. It also freezes well so you can have it another time. Since it is a bit of work making it, I try to freeze any bread that I don’t use. I would eat it that day, especially about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven. It will make your whole house smell yummy. I got the original recipe here . I modified it a bit.
Here is how I made it:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of yeast
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 cup of water (1/2 cup warm water, 1/2 cup room temperature water)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup of Mozzarella
1. Mix yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Let sit until it bubbles and proofs.
2. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients.
3. Add flour mixture to yeast mixture. Mix well.
4. Add remaining water and vegetable oil. Mix well.
5. Switch to a dough hook on your stand mixer (or your own hands) and mix or knead until gluten forms (about 3-5 minutes of so). If your dough is too dry add a little more water.
6. Put the dough in a well oiled bowl and let rise until doubled.
7. Pat down and pat flat onto a cookie sheet. It should be about 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Brush with olive oil and add cheese.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes of so. Watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.