Is your child on a dairy free diet? Do you want to add more veggies in your child’s diet? Are you looking for a healthy alternative to a chocolate cupcake? These cupcakes are chocolaty, sweet and full of zucchini. I found the original recipe on the blog, I Am Baker.
I cut the sugar and the fat down by adding applesauce. I simply replaced the chocolate chips with dairy free chips which made the recipe dairy free. If you want to cut the fat down further, substitute more oil with applesauce. I wouldn’t substitute all of the oil because the cupcake needs a little fat to keep the texture and moisture optimal. If you want to enhance the chocolate flavor, add a few tablespoons of brewed decaf coffee. When I bake for my children, I skip the coffee but for adults, it can add some nice depth to the chocolate.
Get your child involved! My 5 year old son helped me out with this recipe from start to finish. He loved mixing everything up and turning the food processor on and off. It’s an excellent opportunity to learn about ingredients and follow directions.
2 cups of all purpose flour
1.5 cups of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
dash of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of table salt
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 medium zucchinis
1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
4 eggs beaten lightly
3/4 cup of dairy free chocolate chips (i use the mini enjoy life chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put liners down on cupcake pan.
2. Combine flour through cocoa powder in a bowl. Sift.
3. Peel and slice the zucchinis. Put zucchinis in the food processor and puree. Take mixture out and squeeze the moisture out with a paper towel.
4. In a separate bowl, combine oil through eggs. Mix in zucchini.
5. Add wet ingredients to food processor and slowly add flour mixture. Pulse until mixture comes together and is moistened and well combined.
6. Pour batter into cupcake liners. Top cupcakes with chocolate chips.
7. Bake for about 16-18 minutes until done.
8. Makes approximately 18 cupcakes.