Your kids will never know that they are getting their veggie intake when eating this Chocolate Zucchini Cake. The cake is moist, sweet and rich. I discovered this recipe when looking for a good dairy free brownie recipe. I found this recipe and modified it to my preferences. I decided to add some canola oil and swap out the whole wheat with white flour. You can also use white whole wheat flour instead of the whole wheat flour. If making this recipe for adults, I would add a tablespoon of brewed regular or decaf coffee to the batter to bring out the taste in the chocolate. Since I was making this for the kids, I left out the coffee.
Tip: Make sure you squeeze the water out of the zucchini before adding it to the batter. Zucchini has a lot of moisture in it and can make the batter too wet if you don’t follow this tip.
Carryover Book: Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
• 2 eggs
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• ¼ cup applesauce
• ¼ cup of canola oil
• 1 cup white flour
• ½ cup (45 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1.5 cups peeled and pureed zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
• 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips + ½ cup mini dairy free chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (I used Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F grease a 8″x8″ pan with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl or food processor, mix together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, canola oil and apple sauce. Add zucchini and pureed it in the egg mixture.
3. In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk.
4. Add the dry mix to the wet, gently pulsing in the food processor until combined. If you do not have a food processor, stir until combined.
5. Fold 1 cup of chips into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and even the surface with a spatula.
7. Sprinkle ½ cup mini chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan. cut and let cool on a cooling rack.