Adding quinoa to baked goods not only adds moistness but also gives it extra protein. When adding quinoa to a recipe, make sure to stick with the measurements. Adding too much quinoa can make the muffin very heavy and dense. 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa in this recipe was just right. These muffins were sweet, moist and had a nice texture which make them perfect for breakfast or a snack during the day. For this recipe, I used already cooked quinoa that I had in the fridge. The quinoa was pre-rinsed. Make sure to either buy pre rinsed or rinse before cooking it. Without this step, the quinoa can make these muffins bitter.
2 ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons of wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (make sure to buy quinoa that has been pre-rinsed)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground all spice
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Yield 8 standard size muffins.
1. Combine mashed bananas, brown sugar and applesauce in a bowl until combined.
2. Add eggs and quinoa to banana mixture.
3. In another bowl combine flour, wheat germ, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk until combined.
3. Add dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
4. Add vanilla extract.
5. Add batter to greased muffin pan.