Are you looking for a fun and functional speech therapy app to help your child with an articulation disorder or other expressive language delay or disorder?
I was recently contacted by Jerry, CEO of Speech Blubs, who gave me a wonderful overview of this easy to use and fun app for children struggling with various expressive language disorders. The best thing about the speech therapy app is that you can try it for free! If you decide that you like it, you can get a subscription to keep enjoying the app with all features unlocked. This app is very comprehensive in that it doesn’t just target treatment, it also addresses assessment. When navigating through the assessment process, the app includes questions that address various aspects of language including: pragmatics (with various questions), hearing, play, comprehension, and talking. The speech therapy app then analyzes the data and comes up with quick report. This quick report is then sent via pdf to your email so it can be easily shared with a therapist, teacher, etc. This quick assessment does not replace a speech and language assessment though. This is just a quick screening that can be a useful tool for a parent or shared with an SLP. Additionally, the app does not replace speech therapy! However, this app can be used in conjunction with speech and language therapy and can be wonderful tool for carryover.
What’s next? The screen then jumps to various articulation and language exercises that you child can practice such as early sounds, outdoor wonders, guess the sound, guess the word, numbers, family names, sing along, get into shapes, living colors, animal kingdom, ride your wheels (words for transportation), when I grow up (community helpers words), this is my body, yummy time (names of foods and drinks), first words, and mouth gym (speech therapy practices).
Are you a speech language pathologist? Check out Pro Blubs.
- First assess your child with our screener, when you download the app, we ask you a couple of questions. It takes you 5 to 10 minutes and you get a free personalised report with tips and tricks about your child’s hearing, pragmatics, comprehension, play and talking.
- Model along. Your presence and enthusiasm act as additional motivation. Simply use the app yourself for getting their attention.
- Let the child be in charge. Allow the children to choose which activity they want to play with, this will keep them engaged.
- Limit session length, but do it regularly. Our therapists usually recommend 5 to 10 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week. You can set the reminders within the app, so you don’t miss on daily practice.
- If possible, use Speech Blubs with two or more kids at a time, they challenge each other, role-play, invent stories – giggles and learning potential amplifies.
- Use it in addition to one-on-one time. Combine the app with other activities, like books and an illustrated vocabulary.
- Trigger conversations: Challenge the kid to have a conversation based on their head-prop. Or use the funny content from bonus videos to trigger conversations.
- Our app can be used to boost any toddler’s speech, but works miracles with kids who suffer from speech delay, Down syndrome, Apraxia, or autism. Even those who are totally non-verbal often start imitating right away.